Sunday, November 7, 2010

My NEW site


Pink: Historical sites, Green: Temples & Shrines, Blue: Institution







This site is located in front of the home of Masaoka Shiki (1867-1902), who was a Japanese author, poet, literary critic and journalist in Meiji period (1868-1912). Shiki is generally known as the major figure in the development of modern Haiku poetry and also played an important role in revitalizing Tanka Poetry.

This site is also located next to the major train lines. On the other side, there are Tokyo University of Art, Ueno Park, museums, Kaneiji temple and cemetery.

This site is important for my thesis, because of the coexistence of old and new. Across my site is the old house and right next to my site is a contemporary building for Japanese calligraphy association. The institutions that I listed above is old also. The contemporary high rise buildings can be seen in the areal view also. In order to perform the "Japan-ness" in this site, I have to incorporate both new and old that exist in this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment